Friday, November 2, 2012

Jim Talks about a Book’s True Value

I am overwhelmed with all the books I want to read, but that’s a bookseller’s dream, I suppose. I have enough books at home to last me, say, three years. But during that time I would miss the beauty of new releases and the pleasure of a new paperback.

Looking at what is on our store shelves, every book needs to be treated as a work of art. If you consider the time and effort it took an author to come up with the idea, do the research, and write the pages. They have put their lives into every tome. Then there’s the editor, printer, cover jacket artist, the shipping, publisher reps, the staff store displays, the booksellers.

We see it’s not just the writer, but an amazing confluence of lives and talents.

I look for the book that transports me into a different world, living vicariously with those characters. However, I look at every book as a work of an artisan, whether or not I liked it. My appreciation is for all the effort of having it published.

Jim is a bookseller at Warwick's

No comments:

Post a Comment